Monday 28 November 2016

Virata gets to know the Pandavas

In the night the Pandavas and Draupadi met. Yudhistira said to Arjuna I heard you fought a great battle and killed many.
Arjuna said I saw Duryodhana and realize now that a war is inevitable and Duryodhana will not give up our kingdom without a battle. Yudhistira wanted to know how Arjuna knew this and Arjuna said Drona had told him so, indirectly through his actions.
Yudhistira said Why did you go and disclose your self. We have to be in exile again. Sahadeva, please calculate and let me know how many days are left for our exile to be over.
Sahadeva said We have entered the fourteenth year. Our time is up.
Yudhistira asked then when was the next auspicious day. Sahadeva said that was in three days time.

Three days from then, all got up and early and dressed up in royal robes. When the time was correct, Yudhitira sat on the throne of Virata and Draupadi sat near him on his left. Bhima stood on the right holding the umbrella. Arjuna stood near with folded hands and Nakula and Sahadeva stood with fans.

This was reported to Virata. The king rushed there with his sons Shweta and Shankha. Uttar heard this and he too rushed there. Uttar went there and bowed down to Yudhistira.

Virata entered and said Kanka, How can you dare to sit on my throne? You had said you had no needs and were happy to sleep on the floor and now you desire my throne. And then Sairandhari is sitting there too. You have no shame. I am seeing Brihannala here along with my cook and cowherd and stable man. Sairandhri I thought was devoted to her husbands. Then how could she desire Kanka and sit with him.

Uttar tried to stop his father.

Virata said How can you act like this? How do act this, being my son?

Bhima tried to do something but Yudhistira stopped him.
Slowly, with a smile, Arjuna said - What you say is true. There are thrones which are respected by the Gods and that is the throne that Kanka should be sitting on. So why should he sitting on this throne? He who is worshiped by kings from all lands, how can he sit on this throne? One who is protected by Bhima and Arjuna, how can he sit here? One who had the sons of Madri to cover his back and has lost games of dice with Duryodhana, how can he sit here? One who roamed for twelve years in the forest, this is Yudhistira.

Virata said If this is true Brihannala, then tell me where is the daughter of Drupada? Where are his other brothers?

Arjuna said There is Vrikodara (Bhima) whose name itself brings fear in the hearts of enemies. He is the one killed your brother in law, Kichaka. The cowherd and the stable hand are the sons of Madri. The Lotus eyed one sitting with the king is the daughter of Drupada. Also know me as Dhanajaya.

Uttar then said Struck by misfortune, the Pandavas took refuge in our kingdom. It is because of some good deeds in the past, that they came to us.

Virata with folded hands fell on the ground and said Forgive me. I have done you wrong.

The king hearted Yudhistira asked Arjuna to life Virata up.

Virata asked for forgiveness and Yudhistira said there was nothing to fault him.

Virata said If you are happy then let my daughter Uttara marry Arjuna.

Arjuna said That is not possible.

Virata said I and my queen may have wronged you but what did my daughter do? Why do you reject her?

Arjuna said I lived for a year as womand and I know your daughter is pure. She has taught by me and she deserves to be married to my son Abhimanyu.

Yudhistira asked Virata to send messengers to Dwaraka.

No comments:

Post a Comment