Saturday 5 November 2016

Kichaka and Draupadi

Janmajeya asked the sage - What did the Pandavas do after this?
The sage said - Eleven months and the Pandavas were successful in concealing themselves.
One day, the lieutenant of the army of Virata, Kichaka, saw Draupadi. He approached her and said he wanted to have her at any cost.
Draupadi said I am a maid of the queen and for your own welfare, I am warning you to stay away from me. I have gandharvas as my husband and you will meet your end at their hands, if you chase me.

Hurt, Kichaka, who was also the brother of the Queen, went to his sister. He asked her to get the maid for him. The Queen tried to reason with her brother and asked him to leave the maid alone.

Kichaka said he was not afraid of gandharvas and would get the maid at any cost. The Queen said she would think of a way.

When Kichaka left, the queen called Draupadi. She said - I am very thirsty. I have left my drink in thr house of my brother. Please fetch that for me.

It was, as if a thunderbolt had struck Draupadi. She said - You promised me that you will keep in your house and not let me go anywhere. Why do you go back on your word now. There are other maids. Please ask them to fetch the drink for you.

The Queen said - A maid should not command thus. You will go where I tell you to go. Please take the pitcher and go fast.

Whispering a silent prayer, Draupadi left. Kichaka saw her approaching and came out. Draupadi said She did not have time and had come to fetch the drink for the queen.

Kichaka tried to catch her and Draupadi ran from there. If she went to the queen, she may not get help. Thinking thus, Draupadi ran towards the court of the king.

In the court, Kichaka pushed Draupadi. Draupadi fell on the ground. The pitcher broke. Bhima, in the court saw this and stood there, helpless.

To the king, Draupadi said I am being hurt for no fault of mine.

Yudhistira said to the king that Kichaka needed to be punished. To Draupadi, Bhima said quietly I will kill Kichaka. Tell him to come to the dance hall in the dawn and ask him to meet you.

Draupadi dried her tears and went away.

Draupadi went to Kichaka. Kichaka said What did the King do? No one can save you from me.

Draupadi said I am fearing my husbands. Do one thing. At the break of dawn, meet in the dance hall.

Kichaka was happy. He went and decked himself and waited for dawn.

Draupadi went and told Bhima. Bhima went to the dance hall and waited there.

When Kichaka entered, the room was dark. Thinking Bhima to be Draupadi, he grabbed him.
Bhima started hitting Kichaka. Kichaka was no match. Bhima easily conquered him and then killed him.

He told Draupadi the task was done. He quietly went to the kitchen, had a bath and lay down to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment