Wednesday 9 November 2016

Kauravas steal the cows

While Susharma was fighting Virata, Duryodhana and his army attacked the cowsheds of Matsya and stole all the cows. The cowhers reported to Uttar, son of Virata.

Uttar said he was Iu charge while his father was away. He had one problem though. He did not have a proper charioteer to help him. He said - I can put fear in the minds of the enemy. I can fight a battle which will be known for years. I can capture the Kauravas if I get a charioteer. I will fight like Arjuna.

Uttar was saying this in the company of women. Draupadi who was there heard this and went to the dance hall where Arjuna was. She said You alone can save the cows of Virata. Go and help.

Arjuan said I cannot go unless Yudhistira asks me to go.
Draupadi said We need to help Virata who has helped us in the time of need.

Arjuna agreed. Draupadi asked Uttara, Uttar's sister to go to her brother and say that Brihanalla was a great charioteer. When Pandavas had won wars, Brihannala had been a charioteer for them. She had helped Arjuna win battles. If Brihannala goes as the charioteer, Uttar will win the battle.

Arjuna went with Uttara where Uttar was.

Hearing from his sister, Uttar said I have heard you are a great charioteer. You are equal to the charioteer of Indra, Daruka of Krishna, Aruna of Surya and Sumantra of Dashratha. If what is said is true, then I will win this battle and come.

Arjuna said I do not know all this. I know the arts of music and dance only.

Uttar said But what I have heard is different. You are an able charioteer; this is what I have been told.

Arjuna said Then I have a condition. I will take the chariot where you want but I will not leave the battlefield and run.

Uttara was happy and got ready for the battle. Uttara then said I want to decorate my dolls. Please get the dresses of the enemy which I use to dress my dolls. I want the dress of Bhishma and Drona. Please get those for me.

Arjuna said When your brothers wins the war, he will get what you want.

The women said to Arjuna, Help Uttar the way you helped Arjuna burn the Khandava forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment