Wednesday 2 November 2016

Pandavas in the court of Virata

Yudhistira entered the court first with a bag on his shoulder. The people wondered who this handsome person was. The king Virata asked him who he was and why he had come there. Yudhistira said My name is Kanka. I used to be a friend of the king Yudhistira. We were like one soul. When the king went to the forest, I came here looking for work. I am skilled in the game of dice.
Virata said I am happy to have someone like you in my court.

After some time Bhima came there with utensils on his shoulder. He said to Virata that he was a brahmana and and expert cook. He also had some experience in wrestling. When Virata wanted to know more, Bhima said I am Vallabha. I used o cook for the king Yudhistira. I also used to wrestle there. With the king in the forest, I am looking for work.
Virata appointed him and asked him to go to the kitchen.

After sometime Arjuna entered dressed as a woman. Virata wanted to know who this was, dressed as a woman. Arjuna said - I am an eunuch. I am trained in dancing
Virata said The garb of a woman does not suit you.
Arjuna said I am an eunuch  called Brihannala. I used to be with the queen Draupadi. I used to teach singing and dancing to the royal family. With the Pandavas in exile, I have no where to go.
Virata appointed him and asked him to go to the inner quarters.

Soon Nakula came there. Virata was stunned to see the looks of this person. He said was a veterinarian who specialized in treating horses. His name was Granthika.
The king asked him where he was coming from. Nakula said The King Yudhistira had countless horses and I was in charge of them.
The king appointed him and asked him to go to the stables.

Sahadeva then came there. He said was a keeper of cows. He used to the keeper of cows for the king Yudhistira and his name was Tantripala. Virata appointed him and asked him to take care of his cows.

2 comments:

  1. This part I cannot remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pandavas had to go in hiding and needed to be in a manner such that they were not discovered. They had planned to play two roles in this - one of the five gandharva husbands with 5 different names; and in the other form as people serving in the court of Virata. As Gandharvas, they did not come out in the open and remained in hiding and appeared only when needed (read on when Kichaka is killed, it is the Gandharva who kills him). As people in the court, they did not recognize each other or acknowledge each other openly.

    ReplyDelete