Friday 9 December 2016

Kurukshetra

Duryodhana then sent messengers everywhere asking his allies to join him for battle. Kings from all over came to join the Kaurava army.
Pandavas heard that Duryodhana was getting his army ready. He said it was time to get ready and also view the holy place of Kurukshetra where the battle was to be fought.
Yudhistira said this was a holy place  where a body part of Sati had fallen, which had been established by their ancestor Kuru.

Hearing this Dhristadyumna said I am interested to hear this. Please tell me.

Arjuna said There was a noble king called Kuru. He had won over many kings with his might. He held many sacrifices. One day the departed ancestors came to him and asked him perform the a ceremony and feed them meat. The king agreed and went on a hunt. He killed many animals and sent the meat home. Thirsty he roamed the forest looking for water. He found an ashrama and a beautiful lake. There he saw a very beautiful woman, Seeing her he lost his thirst and started thinking about her.

The woman said she was Bahurupa, a dancer in the court of Indra. She said Listen to my story first. In a previous birth I was born asa bird. I used to live on a huge banyan tree. I lived a full life and later died on the tree of old age. My body remained there and dried up. Years passed. Once a strong wind blew and my body along with my nest flew and fell in the waters of the pilgrim site of Prabhasa. On touching the waters, all my sins were washed away and I became a beautiful dancer in the court of Indra. One day an evil thought struck me. A king called Khatanga, from the solar dynasty, happened to come to Indra's court after winning wars. I fell in love with the king.
Indra cursed me saying because I had lost my heart to a human I was cursed to go down to heart. Which why I am here, looking for a partner.

Kuru said I am a king from the Lunar dynasty and will accept you as my wife if you are willing. The woman said I agree on the condition that you will not stop me from doing what I wish. If you say anything harsh, I will leave you.
Kuru agreed and took her along with him to his kingdom.

One day Kuru was thirsty and asked his wife to give him some water. The woman said she was busy and it would take some time. The king lost his temper. The woman then said As agreed previously I am leaving you.

The king was sad after she left. He lost interest in his kingdom and always pined for the woman.
His ministers told him Bahurupa was a cursed apsara. With her curse gone, she is back in Indra's court. If you really want her, please Indra. They told him to worship Indra on the banks of river Saraswati, close by. The king started his meditation.
Surabhi, the divine cow appeared before him and asked what he wanted. The king said he wanted Bahurupa. Surabhi asked him to continue worshiping Indra.
Indra appeared and asked what he wanted.
Kuru said he wanted Bahurupa back.
Indra said So be it. He said Ask for something else.
Kuru said If you are pleased , let this place become a holy place.
Indra said This place will be known as Kurukshetra.
With the permission of Indra, Kuru took Bahurupa back with him. On the way, he did not thank Surabhi. Surabhi angry, cursed the king to be childless. The king did not hear this.

Years passed and the king was childless. He went to the sage Vashistha with his wife. The sage wanted to know why the king had come. The king said he was childless and wanted a child.
Vashistha said this was because of Surabhi's curse. He asked him not to worry. Surabhi's daughter was in his ahsrama. If the king served Surabhi's daughter, he would get a child.

The king and his wife began serving the cow, Nandini.

Soon the king had two sons. He named the first son as Syamavar. This is the son who carried forward the Kuru dynasty. Later, giving the kingdom over to his son, the king retired into the forest.

Ending his tale, Arjuna said It is time to prepare camps in Kurukshetra. We should not delay.

Dhristadyumna started his work. Soon messages were sent to the allies of the Pandavas to join them.

Salya, brother of Madri, was coming to join the Pandavas. He was stopped on the way by Duryodhana who greeted him and took care of him. Pleased, he said would join the Kauravas but before that he said he would meet the Pandavas and come.

When Salya met Yudhistira, Yudhistira said he was expecting him. Salya said he had given his word and would join the Kauravas. Being there, he would help by becoming the charioteer of Karna.

2 comments:

  1. Now this seems to be a Mega Episode.😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be some more ..... in the future episodes

    ReplyDelete