Thursday 12 May 2016

Invitation for the game

Janmajeya asked the sage - Please tell me about the game of dice where my ancestors lost everything and went through lot of grief and trouble. Who all played the game? Who were in the all when the game was played?

The sage said Hearing the words of his son, disturbed the blind king. He called Duryodhana and said - Stop this game of dice. Vidura has not given his consent to this. Why are you jealous of the Pandavas? You gave the land the Pandavas have and they have made the best of it.

Duryodhana said - It was natural to admire what the other person had. Pandavas have prosperity which I do not have. Krishna and the kings listen to Yudhistira. I was in charge of the treasury during the sacrifice and I saw the wealth they have. I was also insulted in their palace. When I could not figure out where to go, I was laughed at when I tried to lift my clothes thinking the floor was water. When I saw water, thinking it to be crystal, i unknowingly stepped into it and I was laughed at by the Pandavas and Draupadi. I was then given dry clothes. I find this insulting. When I was trying to go out, I kept bumping my head into the crystal walls. The sons of Madri came and helped me. I desire what the Pandavas have.

Dhritarashtra said - It is not good to desire what the other has. Organize a sacrifice like Yudhistira did. Invite kings. All kings will come. You will also get a lot of wealth and gifts. Do not look for short roads to success.

Duryodhana refused to listen.

Seeing his son would not listen, Dhritarashtra sent for Vidura. Vidura said - The entire clan will be destroyed because of this game. Stop this.
When Vidura saw the king was going to listen to his son, he set forth for his journey.

He went to Indraprastha where he was heartily welcomed. Vidura said to Yudhistira that the king, Dhritarashtra wanted him to come to Hastinapura along with his brother for a game of dice.

Yudhistira said Dice is known to be a game that destroys all. Please advise what I should do.

Vidura said I know of the evils of Dice. I told the king to not have the game but the king did not listen.

Yudhistira said the game of dice was like war and if invited, a kshatriya would attend the same.

Along with his brothers , Yudhistira started for Hastinapura.

They reached Hastinapura in the evening and went greeted Gandhari and all women of Hastinapura. 

No comments:

Post a Comment