Friday 5 February 2016

Vyasa agrees to help Satyavati

Vyasa was sitting amongst the Gods, when he felt his mother calling out to him. He arrived where Satyavati was. Satyavati hugged her son and started crying.
Seeing his mother cry, Vyasa asked the reason for the grief.
Satyavati said my husband passed away when my sons were young. A Gandharva killed my elder son. Bhishma brought up the younger son and got him married to two princesses. He too passed away leaving two young widows and no children. I have sent for you as I want you to help me increase my family tree. You and Bhishma are my sons. For getting me married, Bhisma took a terrible oath. As he cannot help in be-getting children, I need your help.

Vyasa said he would do as his son said.

Satyavati said your sisters-in-law are there. Please have sons from them to help this dynasty.

Vyasa said he would help. He asked Satyavati to tell her daughters-in-law to keep themselves clean and pure.For a year they would lead a life meditating and participating in giving alms to the poor and participate in sacrifices.

Satyavati refused to wait for a year.

Vyasa said he was ugly and any one of the princesses who would accept him as he was would be a mother to a great king. If not, the consequences would have to be borne.

Saying so, he left saying he would be back in the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment