Thursday 4 February 2016

Bhishma advises Satyavati

Satyavati approached Bhishma and wanted to know what was the way out. She asked him to take over Hastinapur as its king. She also asked him to get married and have sons who would carry forward the lineage.

Bhishma said I had made a promise because of you and I will not go back on that promise of mine. Even if the Gods command me to, I will not go back on my promise. Till my last breath, I will not to touch a woman passionately. Sun may loose his warmth , Moon may loose its coolness but I will not go away from my word.

Satyavati said I know what you did and I respect your word. Please let me know if there is a solution for this.

Bhishma said As a Kshatriya it is my duty to look after the Kuru throne. Let me tell you about Rama, son of Jamadagni. Using his axe, Parasurama (Rama with an axe) had killed the king called Arjuna and his lineage. The earth was devoid of Kshtriyas. The ladies of their households then lived with the brahmanas and thus saved their lineage. Though derived from brahmanas, the children were kshatriya children. This act is accepted and not looked down upon.
Let me tell you of another instance. Utatha, was the brother of Brihaspati. He had a wife called Mamata, seeing whom Brihaspati could not control himself. When Brishapati spoke to her, she said this was not the time as she was carrying his brother's child. Her womb was not capable of carrying two children at the same time, from two different fathers.
Not listening to her words, Brihaspati climbed on top of the woman and ravaged her.The child in the womb said to Brihaspati, your semen entering the womb is burning me. Please stop.

Brihaspati would not listen and kept on with his act. The child raising his feet, blocked the path of the semen, which rolled out and fell on the ground.

Angry, Brihaspati cursed the child to be born blind in both eyes.
The blind child fell into evil ways. The other people refused stay in his company. They decided to get rid of him. The sages caught him, tied him on a raft and pushed him in the river Jhanavi. Floating away he was spotted by the King Bali who rescued him. The king seeing he was a brahmin got him home and made place for him as a priest. He asked his queen Sudeshna to serve him, as by his grace she would have a child.

The queen seeing a blind sage refused to go near him and sent a maid. The maid soon after gave birth to a child who grew up, learning the Vedas.

One day the king went to the quarters of the blind sage and seeing the boy, wanted to know who he was., The sage said this is my son, born of the queen's maid. Knowing me to be blind, your queen sent her maid and this is that child born from the maid.

The queen went to the blind sage, begged his forgiveness and soon gave birth to three sons - Anga, Banga and Kalinga. They became of kings later of Anga, Banga and Kalinga lands.

Ending his story, Bhishma said it was proper for a queen to have child through a brahmin. He asked Satyavati to consult with the minsters and find a way out.

Satyavati told Bhisma about her son, Vyasa, that she had through Parasara. The child born on an island was called Dwaipayana. Having learnt all the Vedas, he was called Vyasa. Being dark he was also called Krishna.
She said the child had told her, that whenever she needed him , she needed to call him and he would appear.

Bhishma said Then there is nothing to worry about. He will be our savior and through him our lineage will grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment