Sunday 31 January 2016

Bhishma and Satyavati

Janmajeya wanted to know what happened to Devavrata? How did his meeting with the fisherman go?

The sage continued :

Dasa greeted Devavrata and said : Your father had visited me and I had spoken to him. Your father is very handsome. Anyone would die to give over his daughter to such a person. There is something else I had told him, which I am not sure if I should tell you.

Devavrata wanted to know what that was. He further said, if it was possible, he would do anything possible to make his father happy.

Dasa said, the king has a worthy son like you. Everyone has heard of you and your might.

Understand what the fisherman meant, Devavrata said, I promise that from this day on, I give up all rights to the throne of Hastinapur. The child born of your daughter will rule Hastinapur.

Dasa said : I respect your word. I have one doubt. While you will abide by your word, what about your children? Will they not start fighting for the throne?

Devavrata said, If I can easily give up the rights to the throne, why do you doubt my word. I hereby make another promise, I will remain a bachelor till my dying day.

The Gods in the heaven were amazed to hear this. All over, on earth and heaven, everyone started praising Devavrata. The Gods said - Such a task has not been done any one so far. As you have undertaken a great task, from today you will be known as Bhishma. Also because of your promise and knowing that you have taken the path of truth for a girl, the girl hence forth will be known as Satyavati.




No comments:

Post a Comment