Friday 8 January 2016

Astika is born

Leaving his wife, Jaratkaru left for the forests. His wife was alone. With eyes full of tears, Jaratkari left for her brother's house.
Vasuki wanted to know what troubled his sister. She said for no fault of mine, my husband has left me and gone off, never to return.
Vasuki consoled her. He said if you remember mother had cursed us to die in the snake sacrifice. We will survive the sacrifice because of your son. He will be our savior.
Jaratkari said her husband has also said the same before he left. He had said that this son of ours will save both my ancestors and your family.
Vasuki wanted to know why Jaratkaru had left the house. She told her the brother the whole story:

One day my husband was resting with his head on my lap. It was time for sunset - the time when one needs to get up, light the fire and don the worship.Fearing that he will face ill will as he was sleeping away, I woke him. He was angry when he work up. He said even dusk cannot come unless I wake up. As my wife you should have known this.
After this my husband said I had offend him, and he left.

Vasuki consoled his sister and told her not to worry. Her brother's house was her house and she had no cause to worry now.
On a full moon night, Jaratkari gave birth to a healthy baby boy. The boy was named Astika. When he grew up he started his education learning the vedas.

No comments:

Post a Comment