Thursday 4 May 2017

The horse enters Manipur

Roaming further, the horse reached the kingdom of Manipur. Babruvahan, son of Arjuna and Chitrangada was the ruler there. Arjuna had married Chitrangada when he was out in exile. He had also married Uloopi, the daughter of the Nagas. Uloopi's son Ilavanta had fought valiantly in the great war and had died a hero's death. Uloopi was now staying with Chitrangada.
Babruvahan caught the horse. When he realized that the horse belonged to Arjuna, he was not sure what to do. He went to Chitrangada and asked for advice. Chitrangada asked him to take the horse to Arjuna and return it.
Babruvahan did not like this. He said This is not a duty of a Kshatriya. A Kshatriya is born to fight. I will keep the horse and challenge father to a fight and then I will give the horse back to him. I will also not tell him who I am till I fight him.
Chitrangada said Who has ever heard of a fight between a father and a son? I am asking you to take the horse back to him.
Reluctantly Babruvahan agreed. He went to greet Arjuna carrying gifts and the horse. Arjuna was seated along with the sons of Ghatotkacha and Karna, Bhima, Pradyumna, Anusalva, Hamsadhwaja, Yuvanashwa and Subeg.
Babruvahan bowed down and introduced himself. He said he had unintentionally caught the horse and wanted to return it back.
Arjuna refused to acknowledge him. He said Abhimanyu was my son. He fought and died. I will not accept this coward as my son, who fearing his life has come to return the horse.
Babruvahan got and said - Please forgive but listen to my words. I am not an illegitimate son of yours. If you refuse to acknowledge me, then what about Karna who was born before Kunti's marriage? Also, how are you are a son of Pandu when you five brothers have five different fathers? Do not think I have come to you, fearing you. I came only because my mother told me to. I will show you who I am.
Saying this Babruvahan asked his men to tie the horse and take it inside.

A war was declared between Arjuna and Babruvahan.

Chitrangada heard of this and sent for her son. She asked why he was doing this. Babruvahan said he had been insulted by Arjuna and would take revenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment