Monday 10 April 2017

Ashtami

Bhishma said - Let me tell you about more worships. The fasting of Ashtami is very dear to the consort of Shiva.. The person performing this is blessed. One who performs the worship of Shiva and Durga gets divine bliss. Let me tell you more.
In the olden days there was a king called Subahu. He was a great king. He performed the worship for Ashtami. He organized for a ceremony to make offerings to the departed ones. He gave away lots of gifts. Having finished he was about to have food when a brahmin came and asked for gifts. The king got angry. He was irritated but still gave gifts away.
One day the king happened to be in a garden. He found that his flowers were being stolen by a Gandharva. He tried to catch the Gandharva and one day caught him red handed. Subahu asked him who he was and the Gandharva introduced himself and said he was taking flowers for his people. He said he was seeing showers of grain falling there and wanted to know the reason for that. Subhahu said he did not see such shower. Gandharva said I will give you divine sight and you will be able to see this.
The Gandharva did that Subahu saw the shower of grain. He then said to the Gandharva I realize now. I had once given gifts to a brahmin but I had been angry. It is because of my sin that I do not see the shower of grain. How will I get salvation.
The Gandharva decided to help Subahu. He went to Indra to ask for a solution for this. Indra said giving gifts, that too food, with anger was a grave sin. To atone for this, the king would need to perform the fasting of Ashtami. He would need to please Goddess Parvati and then he would get salvation.
The king did that and got blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment