Thursday 7 July 2016

Nala and Damayanti in the forest.

In his game with Pushkar, Nala lost all that he had. Pushkar suggested putting Damayanti at stake which angered Nala. Nala took off the valuables that he was wearing and walking away.
Pushkara then made a proclamation saying anyone providing help, support or shelter to Nala would be punished. He sent messengers to other kingdoms with the message that Nala was not to be provided shelter.

Nala was raoming around hungry and thirsty. He reached a river side and sat there. Unknown to him, Damayanti was following him. She soon caught up with him. Both were very hungry and thirsty. Soon, they spotted a flock of golden birds. Nala thought he would catch the birds and then make a meal out of them. He looked around and all he saw was the loincloth that he was wearing. He took that off and threw it at the birds. These were magical birds who flew off with the cloth. In the sky, the birds said Know me, I am Kali. With me is my friend Dwapara. We will torment you and trouble you. Leaving us Damayanti chose you and this is your punishment for that.  Saying this, the birds vanished.

Nala then said to Damayanti, See the roads in the forest. One part leads to Avanti and the other leads to Vidharba. Take the road to Vidharba. Go to your father's house.

Damayanti said You are in Exile. You have lost all that you had and now are naked, in the forest. If I am with you, I will be of help to you. Why do you want to get rid of me.
Nala said I do not want to see you unhappy.
Damayanti said Then let us both go to the land of Vidharbha. My father will be very happy to see you.
Nala said Your father is dear to me, but I can not go there naked and hungry. I had been there once in my regal attire and now with what face shall I face people?

Nala wrapped himself in Damayanti's garment. Damayanti, afraid that her husband may leave her, was happy that both were wrapped in the same cloth. They soon reached a place where weary travellers halted. Both Nala and Damayanti lay down. Damayanti went into a deep slumber. Nala was unable to sleep. Nala thought that if Damayanti was with him, she would have to suffer daily. If he left, she wouyld be then compelled to return to her father's house.

Nala tore a part of Damayanti's garment and wrapped it around himself. He then said a prayer to the Gods, asking them to take care of Damayanti.

He then walked into the deep forest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment