Saturday 10 September 2016

Krishna comes to meet the Pandavas

United with Arjuna, Yudhistira asked Lomesh what was it that they should do now? What place shpuld we go to now?
The sage let us first leave the mountains and return to the Kamya forest where we were originally.
Yudhistira thought of Ghatotkacha who instantly appeared there. Yudhistira asked him to carry them all back to the Kamya forest.
Happy to be back, the Pandavas constructed huts and settled there. Bhima and Arjuna would go hunting and whatever food was cooked, was kept in the vessel given by Surya. The food would remain there, multiplying, till Draupadi had her meal.
One day the sage Lomesh came to the Pandavas and said it was time for him to return back to the land of Indra. Sad, the Pandavas bowed down at the feet of the sage and the sage left.

The forest became like Hastinapura with Yudhistira holding court and resolving problems of others.

Four years passed since the Pandavas were all united, Arjuna having returned. The Pandavas lived in the forest for one year. They used to hunt for food. One day, Bhima went out hunting. He saw a cave and wondered if he could find anything there. He came across a huge hungry snake. The snake caught Bhima and Yudhistira had to intervene to rescue Bhima.

Janmajeya asked the sage - Please tell me about this. I am interested to know how Yudhistira had to intervene to save the strong Bhima.

The sage said -  Bhima was roaming around with bow in hand and  a sword found a beautiful spot full of birds and animals. There many shady trees there. He saw streams in which swans were swimming.  Bhima roamed in the forest, killing wild boars and wild buffaloes. Excited, he began jumping and pulling trees out by the roots. The earth started trembling. Then Bhima saw a huge serpent, which was so big that it had coiled itself around the mountain. Seeing Bhima close by, the snake grabbed him. This was a celestial snake and Bhima could not free himself.

Bhima thought this was no ordinary snake. He asked the snake who was he. He said - I am Bhima, next brother of Yudhistira. I have great strength and have killed many rakshasas but why am I not able to defeat you?

The snake said - It is my luck that I have found someone like you to feed on. Let me tell you how I became a snake. You may have have heard about Nahusha. I am Nahusha, an ancestor of yours. I became a snake due to the curse of Agastya. I was ruling Indra's throne when I was cursed. When I slowly began transforming into a serpant, I asked Agastya how would I free myself. Feeling pity for me, Agastya said, I would be free after a long time. I then became a snake on earth but I remember my previous life. The sage said  The person who knows about the soul and its relation with the Supreme Being can free you by answering your questions. Other than that, anyone caught by you will lose their strength. Today you have come as my food.

Bhima tried to free himself but was unable to.

Yudhistira saw ill omens. He heard jackals howling. Sensing something wrong, he went in search of Bhima, leaving the others to protect the sages.

Going by, he saw dead animals and knew Bhima had passed that way. He saw the pulled trees and came across the snake, holding Bhima, in its coils.

Yudhistira asked Bhima how this had happened. Bhima, said this was Nahusha, in the guise of a snake.
The snake said I live on wil goats. Your brother came towards me. If you stay here longer, I will eat you too.

Yudhistira said he was willing to offer food in lieu of Bhima's life. The snake said I was your ancestor, known as the king Nahusha. I was known amongs Gods and Humans. It was due to my acts that Agastya cursed me. I had made the sages my palanquin bearers and insulted them. My memory is still sharp.  If you answer my questions, I will think about your offer.

Yudhistira asked the sage to ask the questions, and he would answer if he could.

The snake said - Who is a Brahmana?
Yudhistira said - One who is wise and known for his wisom. He practices truth, charity, good conduct, forgiveness and follows all rites that he needs to.

The snake said - A person born of a lower caste could also have these qualities. Would he be a brahman also?

Yudhistira said - A lower caste is not by birth alone. Also, one born a brahman does not become one. A low caste person is one who does not have the qualities. A brahman could be called a low caste because of his qualities.

The snake said - If that is so, what is the use of the caste system? That becomes senseless then.

Yudhistira said - Men from all castes have children from women from various castes. The wise ones have given emphasis on qualities. The person is a low caste by birth till he learns the Vedas. As per Manu, the mixed castes are better than many, if they perform good deeds. Whoever conducts himself in a pure and virtuous manner is a brahman as per me.

The snake said - Having heard you, how can I now eat your brother.

Yudhistira said - O learned snake, how does one attain salvation?

The snake said - It is by one's actions.

Yudhistira said - What is more important - truth or giving away of gifts?

The snake said - The actions need to be measured based on the need.

Yudhistira said - What is the characteristic of the mind and the inetllect?

The snake said - Through illusions, the soul becomes a slave of the intellect. Perception rules the inetllect. Sensation is caused by the mind. What is your opinion?

Yudhistira said Having lived in heaven and having all knowledge, why do you ask me this? How does illusion overpower one?

The snake said - Prosperity makes the wise fall. Luxury blinds one. I have been a subject of this. My feet came in touch with Agastya and the sage cursed me to be a sage. By talking to you, my curse is over. I was then told by the sage that talking to Yudhistira would relive me. I release Bhima. Let good luck be with you. I need to return to heaven.

Saying this, Nahusha quite the form of a snake and took a celestial form and proceeded towards heaven.

One Krishna and Balarama decided to visit the Pandavas. The Pandavas were very have to have Krishna and Balarama among them.
Krishna was very pleased to see Yudhistira having made the forest his kingdom and ruling from there. He said the sorrows that were there would soon be gone. The sages there, hearing Krishna, said that was true. Soon Yudhitira would be back in Hastinapura.
Soon Krishna and Balarama decided to take leave. With a heavy heart the Pandavas let them go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment