Friday 2 September 2016

Bhima meets Hanumana

Janmajeya asked the sage - Please tell me what happened to the four Pandava brothers in the forest. When did they get united again with Arjuna?

The sage Vaishampayana said, the Pandavas listened to the sage Lomesh for six days.

One day a gentle breeze blew from the north. The breeze was very sweet smelling.

Yudhistira asked the sage Lomesh What was this wonderful smell that was coming? What flower was it that smelt so nice.

The sage said, in the north was a mountain called Gandhamadana. It had a lake there and in the lake bloomed many lotus flowers. These flowers were very dear to Kubera and he had people guarding the lake.

Hearing this Draupadi called Bhima. She said If you have some feeling for me, please get one hundred and eight of these flowers. I want to use them to worship the Gods. There is nothing that you cannot do.

Taking leave of Yudhistira, Bhima went in search of the flowers.

Going northwards, he entered a beautiful forest where he saw a big grove of banana trees. He saw the trees laden with ripe fruits. He plucked a few and started gulping them. In his hunger, he destroyed many trees and also ended up killing animals.

Hanumana resided in that forest. He sensed that his brother, Bhima, son of the wind God was there. He took the form of a sick old monkey and lay down on the path of Bhima.

Bhima, coming that way, saw the frail monkey lying there. He asked the monkey to move. He said he was in a hurry and had an important task to finish.

With great difficulty the sick monkey said, Who are you and where are you going? I do not have the strength to move my body. Please hop over me and continue your journey.

Bhima thought All beings had the Lord in them. It would not be fair to hop over them.

To the monkey, Bhima said It would be a sin for him to jump or hop over a living being.
The monkey said he was just an animal. How would he know what was fair.

Bhima then tried to move the monkey with his left hand, but he was not able to. Surprised, he tried with both his hands, but he was unable to move the monkey an inch. He kept trying with all his strength. He was sweating profusely, but the frail monkey had not moved a bit.

With folded hands, Bhima said - Who are you? A God or a demi God? Are you a Yaksha, a Gandharva or a Kinnara? I see you have come to me as I have been rash in my deeds. Please forgive me. Let me tell you who I am. In the Lunar dynasty, there was a king called Pandu. I am Bhima, his son. My elder brother is Yudhistira. We are five brothers, living in the guise of hermits, in the forests. I am on my way to get golden lotuses for the worship of Gods.

The monkey then said - I was born in the house of Kesari. I the son of the Wind God and my name is Hanumana. I am one who came to this earth to help Rama.

Hearing this, Bhima bowed down to Hanumana. He said You are my elder brother. Please forgive me. Please show me your real self.

Hanumana then smiled and took his real self. Bhima asked Hanumana to help when the Pandavas would go to war with the Kauravas. Saying this, Bhima took leave of Hanumana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment