Sunday 17 April 2016

Arjuna marries Subhadra in Gandharva style

Janmajeya wanted to know then about Arjuna's marriage to Subhadra.
The sage said :

When Arjuna spoke to Satyabhama, Satyabhama said - You need to give medicines to my sister in law. You are roaming around as an ascetic, making people fall in love with you, give a medicine to cure that.
Arjuna said - Excuse me today. I am tired and I need some rest tonight. I have roamed around in pilgrim spots, but you are maligning my character.

Satyabhama knew what to do. She took Subhadra out with her and called Mayavati, wife of Pradyumna, son of Krishna. Mayavati, who was none other than Rati, was an expert in magic and in arousing passion. She said she would do what was needed.

She decorated Subhadra and asked to re enter Arjuna's room.

When Arjuna saw her, he got up. He said who are you. If you were a man, I would have killed you. Why are you here? Like Surpanakha, I will cut off your ears and eyes.

When he came closer, he saw Subhadra, decked up like a bride. He embraced her.

Satyabhama from outside, asked what was happening. Subhadra said Arjuna had caught her hand and was not letting her go.

Satyabhama then said Arjuna, you are an ascetic. How can you catch the hand of the sister of Krishna and Balarama.

Arjuna said Forgive me. I was not aware of the skills of women.

Satyabhama then asked Arjuna to wed Subhadra in the Gandharva style.

Once that was over, Satyabhama went to Krishna and told him everything. She asked him to make arrangements for the wedding.
Krishna said that would not be possible imeediately, as Balarama did not want Arjuna as the husband of Subhadra.

Satyabhama then asked Krishna, what was the way out? Krishna said he would think of something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment