Thursday 31 December 2015

Garuda and Vishnu

Vishnu had been observing the antics of Garuda, He challenged Garuda. He flung his discus but the bird was not hurt. Garuda attacked Vishnu and hurt him badly with his beak and sharp claws. Stopping the flight, Vishnu said I have never seen one like you. I am pleased with your strength. Ask for a boon.
Garuda said if you are pleased with me, give me a position above you, on your flag. Garuda then said, he also wanted to give Vishnu a boon. Vishnu then said, he would like Garuda to be his vehicle.

Garuda then left with the pot of nectar for his mother. On the way, Indra confronted him and was about to hurl his thunderbolt at him. Garuda said Please do not insult your weapon. A thousand bolts hurled together will not hurt me. To give respect to you, I will tear off a feather from a wing and throw that at you.

Indra was amazed and asked for Garuda's friendship. He further wanted to know how strong he was. 
Garuda said One should talk of ones' own strengths. Only because you are asking me, I will tell you. I can fly tirelessly with all the worlds balanced on my wings. 

Indra then asked why Garuda was carrying the nectar away. Garuda told him about his mother's slavery. Hearing this, Indra said the Nagas are evil. You will not be able to tackle them easily and you will need to play with them. Garuda said when I hand over the nectar to the Nagas, my mother will be free, and then you can take away the nectar. Indra then asked Garuda to ask for a boon. Garuda said the Nagas have been the cause for this trouble. From today let them become my natural food.

Garuda flew on and invisible Indra flew along with Garuda.

No comments:

Post a Comment